Moderate Physical Activities:Moderate activities are any activities that make you breathe a little harder than you would normally. You probably won’t sweat, but you will have a small change in heart rate.
- Bicycling (less than 10 miles per hour)
- Gardening/yard work
- Golf (walking carrying clubs)
- Walking briskly (about 3.5 miles per hour)
- Weight training (general light workout)
Vigorous Physical Activities:These are activities that make you break a sweat and definitely increase your heart rate, as well as leaving you breathing much harder.
- Basketball (competitive)
- Bicycling (more than 10 miles per hour)
- Heavy Yard Work, such as chopping wood
- Running/Jogging (5 miles per hour)
- Swimming (freestyle laps)
- Walking very fast (4.5 miles per hour)
- Weight lifting (vigorous effort)
How Many Calories Do You Burn?The following contains a list of activities and how many calories the average person burns participating in those activities.
- Basketball: 450 calories per hour
- Biking: 441 calories per hour
- Dancing: 370 calories per hour
- Golfing: 240 calories per hour
- Jogging: 675 calories per hour
- Mowing the Lawn: 324 calories per hour
- Sitting: 81 calories per hour
- Tennis: 549 calories per hour
- Soccer: 468 calories per hour
- Leisurely Walking: 206 calories per hour
- Skiing: 740 calories per hour
- Light Cleaning: 246 calories per hour
- Sleeping: 45 calories per hour
- Yoga: 360 calories per hour
- Watching TV: 72 calories per hour
- Office Work: 240 calories per hour
- Playing with Kids: 216 calories per hour
- Vacuuming or Mopping: 150 calories per hour
Activity CalculatorKeep your goals on track and avoid adding excess fat by using the Activity Calculator to approximate the number of calories that activities such as weightlifting and running will use. For a more accurate daily calorie count of what you'll need to build muscle, use this calculator in conjunction with the Daily Caloric Intake Calculator.
Calculate your BMI and more!